June 20, 2012

The Bro Hug

It’s not unusual for something out of the ordinary to happen at work.  The subprime mortgage industry blows up.  JPM loses $2 billion on a bad bet.  The Eurozone is in a crisis.  PIMCO makes the wrong bet on Treasurys and I spend months explaining their poor performance.   Having to roll with the punches of the market is nothing new.  But what happened at a recent client meeting was definitely new.  And I’m not just talking about the committee member who referred to a choir as singing “Acapulco.”  Yesterday at a client meeting, I got bro hugged. 

People who know me know that I am not a very outwardly affectionate person.  It takes a long time for me to be comfortable hugging friends.  The rare exception being the friends who would hug a tree upon meeting it and thus don’t give me a choice.  Given the option, I’m more of a high-five person.  I have a very large personal space bubble.  It’s shrinking, but it’s definitely still bigger than the average persons.  And everyone who has met me is aware of this.
Luckily, finance is centered on the firm handshake.  That I can do.  No need to enter anyone’s bubble and only your right hand has to touch.  Brilliant.  What I failed to take into account is that many Trustees do not have finance experience.  This usually just rears its ugly head when you’re trying to explain what the hell a hedge fund is, or some other industry jargon.  Yesterday it resulted in a bro hug.  I went in for the handshake with a new Trustee and found myself bro hugged. 
Besides the obvious fact that I am not a hugger of friends, much less people I don’t know and my abnormally large personal space bubble, I discovered I don’t know what to do with a bro hug.  Girls do not bro (or possibly bra for the female tense) hug.  We shake, high five or hug.  We are all in or all out.  None of this modified hugging that implies manliness because you only have one arm wrapped around the other guy.  The purpose of the bro hug was a bit befuddling to me to being with.  Finding myself in one was completely flummoxing (I was going to with confounding here but then I used the thesaurus and flummoxing just sounds way more intense.).
It’s not all together unheard of for me to be fuddled.  The bro hug though?  I did not see that one coming.

No comments: