June 14, 2012

Turkey Instead of Turkey

“Heidi, you’ve been talking about going to Turkey for like five years.  Just go already.”  And with that slightly exasperated comment from my cube mate, I hit the purchase button.  Its official, after about five years of talking about Turkey, I am finally going.  Ironically, for the American Turkey Day holiday.

I’ve always liked history.  Partly because I have a great memory and could regurgitate dates and events easily for history exams, but mostly because I like knowledge.  I like knowing how as a world and civilization we got from point A to point B.  I like knowing how people used to live.  And after visiting Italy last year I realized I really like seeing it up close in person.  It’s one thing to know that the Coliseum was built so that it could be emptied in 10-15 minutes (and amazingly, a better stadium design has yet to be created), but it’s a whole other experience to be standing in it.  So for a history buff, what better place to go than the epicenter of three of the largest/greatest empires in history?

So two days before Thanksgiving I will find myself on a plane headed for Istanbul, where I will then spend 11 days touring Turkey.  In addition to getting to cross a country off my to-do list, this will also be my first solo travel experience.  Oh, I fly all over to meet up with people in the US and Canada, but this time it’s just me.  I did however join up with a tour group to make my life easier. I’m using the same group my mom and I went to Italy with since that was such an amazing experience.  I figure if I’m going to all the trouble and expense of flying half way around the world, I may as well make it an actual vacation.  There is a lot to be said for not having to worry about how the transportation from city to city will work or trying to figure out where you’re going to sleep.

One of the few classic novels I had to read in high school was the Iliad.  I do not recall enjoying the experience.  Despite that, I am really looking forward to seeing the classical city of Troy.  Because while I might not have enjoyed the novel that made the city immortal, how brilliant was the Trojan Horse idea?

Currently my biggest worry is I can’t speak the language.  And because the language isn’t based on Latin, I don’t even have a clue as to how to pronounce the cities I will be vising (Troy aside, obviously).  I didn’t speak Japanese either when I went there, but was in a group with some people who did.  Clearly I need to start studying up on my Turkish.  And happily the Turkish Lira is worth almost half of the US dollar.  So much cheaper than the Euro, which my travel budget and frugal nature appreciates.  

Turkey for Turkey Day.  This is sure to be an unforgettable Thanksgiving.

No comments: